Pages

5.22.2007

RaNDoM THoUgHts:

RaNDoM THoUgHts:
-- Matt has 6 days left with his kids at school... then summer vacation! (although it won't really be a vacation for him-- he is on full-time Daddy duty and will be a full-time student, as well as getting through a list of things that need to get done around the house)

-- I actually like the tv show "Dancing with the Stars!" when I had first heard of the show, I quite openly made fun of it-- thinking that they took the "Survivor" idea a little too far... but, now, here I am watching it!
-- I am also super excited about the Season Finale of LOST tonight! I really don't watch a lot of tv-- LOST is the only show I actually follow. and it's a good one! I am hooked.

-- my mom and a bunch of other extended family members (aunts and cousins) are in Paris right now! they are there until next week-- I am jealous!

-- I am currently reading "Stealing Buddha's Dinner" by Bich Minh Nguyen. so far, so good. it's a memoir about being Vietnamese and growing up in Michigan. I am in a book club with some ladies from my church that meets once a month. it has been great to get together with a group of women of all different ages-- we usually end up talking about more than just the book, and get to share some about our lives with each other.

other books we have read over the past year or so (with my commentary in parentheses):
Blue Like Jazz (an interesting perspective on Christianity)
The Kite Runner (VERY good and important to read re: Afghanistan)
Endurance (really intriguing true story about men stranded in the ocean waters near the South Pole)
Snow Falling on Cedars (boring! too many descriptive words)
Light Force (I only got about 1/3 of the way through it...)
Angela's Ashes (depressing)
All Creatures Great and Small (hilarious stories about a veternarian out in the country!- highly recommended)
Snow Flower and the Secret Fan (good story about Chinese culture)
This Present Darkness (very good imagery re: the battle between good and evil)

-- we saw a For Sale sign in front of our next door neighbor's house this morning! sadness! I really like these neighbors, but the high school aged son has been having some mental health problems-- so they are moving to California to be closer to their extended family (who are originally from the Philippines). if you know anyone who wants to move to Finneytown- they have a GREAT backyard and super friendly neighbors!

-- our DVD player broke last night! now this is kinda a big deal because we don't have cable, only those rabbit ears on top of the tv to try to get a reception (and we only get about 2 channels very clearly). so we are often dependent on the local library to borrow DVDs... but, now, without a DVD player that works... hmm- we might have to actually think up our own ideas to entertain ourselves!

-- Jason has mastered the art of pulling objects down. a number of times he has been playing on his playmat and will pull the hanging toys so hard that they will come off. well, he has now learned how to do this with the bunny in his little papasan seat. however, the bunny comes off- not because he is playing so rough with it- but in one quick, purposeful action. Jason reaches up with both hands, grabs a hold of the bunny's ears, and yanks down. and down comes the bunny. I am starting to get nervous about what this will mean for every object in my house once Jason is a little more mobile!

-- 4 more weeks until I have to go back to work.... sad.

3 comments:

sarah cool said...

Sandra!!! Cute pics.

My DVD player broke last year, and my dad bought me (no lie) a $10 one from Wal-Mart. It's still going strong over a year later!!! :-) :-) :-)

parsons said...

thanks for the commentary on the books you've read this year.

i REALLY liked the kite runner, and in fact, he recently came out with his second book, again about afghanistan, only this time the main character is a female who struggles with the sexist gender roles in place and how she can exist within its framework. it sounds good.

and i didn't read all of 'blue like jazz' but i liked the style of writing in that one as well. it seems too often the big christianity books are always from people who were once ex-addicts of whatever and then found god. i liked this one because it showed the christian struggle from a normal, everyday viewpoint. i've heard mixed reviews on his other books, but that one was enjoyable.

Jenn said...

sandra! I'll agree with your previous commenter - Kite Runner rocked my world completely. Blue Like Jazz was great and was challenging and full of inspirational stories. I'll have to refer back to your list when i need a good book!

SO, what did you think of the Season FInale of LOST??? We were blown away. WOWEEE!