Pages

11.05.2007

a scheduled life?


for those who know me well, I am a pretty organized person. I like to have everything written down, my week's activities all "mapped" out. this tendency for structure could just be because I am a first-born. or maybe because my mom used to have us sit down for family meetings, each with our own calendar to document family plans. whatever the cause, I have come to accept this as a good thing. I am usually at the right place at the right time. and if I DO forget something its probably because I didn't write it on the calendar in the first place. I like order and I like to know what is coming next. I am not so good at spontaneity. (as a side note- this may be why having a newborn around was not so much fun for me!)
anyway- my purpose of this blog was supposed to be just a quick update of how my schedule is going to be changing starting this week. I will now be working Monday evenings and one really, really long Thursday (7am- 8:30pm or so). Jason starts with a new babysitter this Thursday, so hopefully that transition goes smoothly. don't worry- I am sure I will have a well thought out and detailed routine schedule documented for the new sitter! maybe even color-coded. yeah, I know, I am a freak.

5 comments:

Heidi said...

Um, I can't believe your mom sat you all down with calendars to plan out the week. I am picturing these little girls with big day planners on their laps, feet dangling off the couch...that's probably not accurate, but I think its funny.

Mom to 2+2=4 said...

this is Sandra's mom writing...I am not as organized as Sandra, but I did set some precidents. I learned about the importance of family meetings and calendaring from a variety of "family life" literature.
We held family meetings at lunch time after church on Sundays. The girls were in their teens. We had a master calendar on the bulletin board and made sure it was updated each week. It was a desparation move on my part - who would be home for dinner, when was Dad out of town, when were the girls available for babysitting jobs, etc. My recollection is that the girls thought it was a boring meeting, but their Dad helped to make it go quickly so I wouldn't get stuck in details. It did help with managing personal and family lives.
Victoria

SJT said...

I guess I didn't pay much attention in the family meetings cause I don't remember them really. I remember the big calendar but not sitting down all the time. Maybe it's the baby sucking my brains out again and I'll remember after Peanut's born. :) Thanks for your hard work mom, even if I don't remember.

Papa VonGeorge said...

Those meetings definately left a mark. My family didn't have those kinds of meetings. Now Sandra buys me planners and tries to make calendars as accessable as possible around our house. I'm not doing so well, though.

Jenn said...

YOU ARE NOT A FREAK, SANDRA. Those family meetings are GENIUS!!! What a great tip. Thanks Sandra's mom!